Monday, April 12, 2010

Seedlings

Photobucket

For Easter, I found these adorable little pots that came with seeds and soil, and got them for the kids. I thought the boys would likely have little interest in growing the plants, and figured the project would then be taken over by the princess.

Oh, how I forget the competitive nature that is our family.

We potted, planted, and watered each one on Easter Sunday and immediately the speculation and betting began. On whose plant would come up first. On whose plant would be the biggest. Or the strongest. On whose plant was going to dominate and destroy all the other plants.

And most of this trash talk came from the Husband.

By Easter night, we noticed that Chase's little red pot was overloaded with water. Apparently, he thought some extra water was the plant equivalent of steroids, and that a few extra doses would give him the advantage over his siblings.

Sadly, the principle doesn't quite work the same for plants as it does for the pro baseball players. It's been over a week now, and Chase's plant has yet to emerge from the soil at all. I think it didn't survive the flood.

Photobucket

McKay's grass seeds were the first to emerge, followed by Hannah's lone zinnia. My sunflower brought up the rear and has been the most entertaining, what with the actual seed pod still clinging to the plant that burst from inside it. Every day the kids check to see if it's fallen off, and every day it holds steady.

Watching it kind of reminds me what it's like to be a mama. You nuture this little bud inside you, are literally torn in half birthing it, and then you devote all your energy to caring for your new seedling. Your previously charming and possibility-filled life now has one singular goal: Hold on tight with clenched fists and gritted teeth for as long as you possibly can. All the while, the indifferent little seed wastes no time in shoving your shrivled self out of the way so it can have its day in the sun.

Don't worry, sister sunflower. We mamas feel your pain.

Our seedlings do the very same thing.

11 comments:

Tristan said...

That looks like a fun family thing to do! Although I kill every plant that comes into our house. Unless they are fresh cut flowers. But I should do it for my kids.

I loved your comparison of your plant and being a Mommy!

shilo said...

Are you sure Chase's plant wasn't sabotaged by one of his fierce competitors? Like, the Husband, for instance...

Anonymous said...

The mommy sunflower will always be loved, you know!

Love the plating idea. My mum got me in gardening a few months back too. Hope Chase's plant sees the light of the day SOON too!

Anonymous said...

planting** (Ah! lousy typing)

Ilene said...

I am compeletly behind your metaphor.

Isn't it funny how when you give plants too much water, it dies?

Happily, the same principle certainly does not apply to baked goods and mothers. Without such, I would probably die.

Or at least shrivel up.

Jenibelle said...

Yeah well it's a good thing it's illegal to drown your kids...it's been one of those days.

Very cute and enlightening analogy.

Meeks said...

Have been a long time follower of your blog, so with pleasure I would like to award you a blogger award!

Keep up all the great work you do! (making us laugh, and telling it like it is...with a splash of creative photography! Love it!)

http://jugglingmotherhood.com/2010/04/13/blogger-awards/

Stefani said...

I'm touched

Lauren in GA said...

That was a perfectly put metaphor. I loved it.

...and I love your humor...I loved hearing about the speculation about, "whose plant was foing to dominate and destroy all the other plants."

I really do feel sister sunflower's pain. Perfectly, perfectly said, Stie.

Kimberly said...

You always know just what to say and how to say it! I would have bought the plants just for the pots, too cute!

Asiam the Great said...

nice photography. :]