Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Making it count

"I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life,
To put to rout all that was not life
and not when I had come to die
Discover that I had not lived."

~Henry David Thoreau


We are doing our best around here to suck all the marrow out of life.

I look at my three babies, one of whom is only a year away from high school, and my chest tightens into a ball of emotion. I feel compelled this year to make every moment count. To not waste one minute of this summer, this life. The life that seems to be slipping through my fingers like soft, white sand.

I find myself letting things go that would normally be screaming for - and receiving - my full attention. My conscience won't allow me to keep them in for something so trivial as organizing the closets. The house, for the most part, is sitting untouched - dishes are loaded and floors are swept - and that is about it. We have been soaking up the sunshine, swimming through muddy creek beds, racing together down the big slides at the pool, and laughing about all of it over melting ice cream cones.

The poem that I have often rolled my eyes at is running through my head on repeat because it's true -- babies don't keep. And cobwebs do indeed sleep.

Or at the very least wait for another day.

I feel like this summer should be the one that they remember because they played so hard, laughed so much, and smiled until it hurt. I want them to drop into bed exhausted every night, their freckled noses crinkling with silly giggles. Eyelids heavy, hearts full.

This summer will be the one we played together every day.

So, dear friends, you will understand if I suspend some of the regularly scheduled blogging around here for the summer. Posting will be spotty, but there when I can. Rest assured, come August, I will return with stories and How-To's galore.

But for now, I am not going to miss this summer. I am not going to miss them. They are growing before my very eyes and I am afraid that in a blink it will all be over.

I am going to suck the marrow out of this gloriously wonderful life I've been given.

After all, we only get one.

Here's to making it count.

12 comments:

Annie ~ Basic Joy said...

Oh, I totally get this. Your kids are at the PERFECT ages for a golden summer. Live it, slurp it up, bask in it. You're making me crave summer vacation! Hurry, Boston kids, get out of school!

But I'm still doing a how-to Tuesday today. For once! I'll link it to last week's.

danandcindy said...

What will we ever do without your ever so enlightening How-To posts?

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

Just over a week ago our sweet 10 year old neighbor boy passed away suddenly. It has left me with exactly these same thoughts and mother-wishes. Here's to embracing every moment of sunshiney, sunscreeny,laughter-filled summer! See you in August!
xoxo,
Amy

Nurse Graham said...

I will miss your regular posts, but I completely understand your wanting to grasp these fleeting moments. My daughter will be a senior next year and I can't believe how quickly the time has gone! I, too, want enjoy every moment of the summer with her, but she of course balked at that proposal. However, she was excited to hear that I was going to Girl's Camp this year (she's going to be a YCL) and we should be able to spend sometime together there.

Enjoy your summer and most importantly, your kids.

Karey said...

My oldest is in Taiwan on a mission, so I totally get how fast it all goes. Have a great summer.

Suzanne said...

Your plan sounds absolutely perfect. =) I'm glad you all are doing so much together time. Good for you! I'll keep doing How-Tos as well, I guess I just won't link them for a couple of months. =) Today I started a series of 6 (or so) How-Tos on fun Harry Potter foods. Almost time for the last movie release, and time for one more big huge party to make it great. =) See you in August!

Travelin'Oma said...

The closets will be there at the end of the summer, I promise. Your priorities are right on target.

Lauren in GA said...

This post made me cry. I understand the tightening in your chest you spoke of. It is going to be a glorious summer for you and your family. You are a wonderful mother, Stie. Way to, "choose the better part."

Juli said...

You have no idea how much I would love to be able to give my kids a "real" summer. My kids go to camp M-F the entire summer, and every vacation.

Enjoy. Every. Minute.

jessica said...

Your kids are at perfect ages to do this and actually remember and appreciate it someday...you are awesome!

Christie in Dallas, TX said...

Have a great summer -- it will be one you and your kids will never forget!

Chatter said...

Perfect! Have a fabulous summer with your wonderful kiddos. We are doing the same thing here. I love it!