Monday, June 20, 2011

I love him anyway

Hi internet. How are you?

I am still here, and have missed you thoroughly. I have been busy with some of my favorite house guests, father's day and the Husband's birthday (all in one week), summer, gearing up for a vacation, and eight photo shoots in two weeks.

I'm exhausted.

But that is not what I am here to share today.

I am breaking radio silence to thoroughly embarrass and humiliate my brother Dan.

Photobucket

Dan is known by many of you here as the commenter who speaks his mind in a hilarious, if not slightly insulting, way. I can always count on him for a dose of reality and a good laugh. Usually at my own expense.

But what you don't know about him is that he is a father to four beautiful children and husband to a gorgeous, thoughtful wife. He is the dad who gets on the floor and plays trains with his boys. He has attended more of his daughter's tea parties than most men would have the patience for. He changes diapers and does the dishes.

He always has my favorite snacks and drinks on hand whenever I come to town - even though no one in his house ever consumes either. On those visits, he stays up until the wee hours of the morning, listening to me, making me laugh, and sharing stories of his own, then cheerfully gets up for work with only a few hours of sleep.

Sometimes he even calls me on his way home from work for a quick chat. Just because. And I love him dearly for it.

He is one of my best friends.

And right now, he is the one in need of some extra help.

A few weeks ago, doctors discovered a tumor on his kidney that is most likely cancer. He's going under the knife tomorrow to get it removed. I absolutely believe in the power of prayer, and I am asking you, dear friends, to add him to yours.

The risk is great that he could lose the kidney entirely.

I gladly offered to donate one of mine, but he doesn't think it'll come to that. I was slightly disappointed because I imagined the lifelong joy I would derive at the thought of one of my organs socializing and infecting the rest of his with my cooties. When I said that to him, he quickly put me way down on the list of donors. Right after the water-logged carcass of Osama bin Laden, I'm sure. Darn.

Anyway, if you think of it, your prayers on his behalf would be greatly appreciated. The power of a collective voice to our Heavenly Father is one that can work miracles. And that's just what we're in need of.

Though I know this post will annoy him to no end, I think that makes it all the more worthwhile, don't you?

Love ya, brother. Get better quick so I can come out there and kick your trash.

32 comments:

Cares and Mimi said...

Our prayers for Dan! Praying for complete health! - Cares

Dalene said...

Prayers going out for Dan. I bet he loves the thought of hundreds of female strangers praying for him tonight. :-)

Jenibelle said...

Christie, you know that I have very tender feelings for this. Since I know that prayers for our family have crossed your mind a time or two, I will gladly, happily, joyfully and earnestly return the favor. Good luck Dan. The many fans of Christie wish you the very best, we don't want to lose your hysterical comments! (Oh, and your sweet family needs you, fight hard.)
Dang it, choking back tears. I'll be thinking and praying for you also Christie. Return and report.

melissa ( : said...

Already praying!

melissa ( : said...

I really need Dan's comments to stick around... The only time my husband will allow me to read tidbits to him from your blog (any blog) is when I say, "But there is a REALLY funny comment from Dan..."

He then allows me to torment him with stories from the blogosphere.

Get well, Dan!

jessica said...

Prayers are on the way...I am a big believer in sister's prayers! You hang in there too...

Christie in Dallas, TX said...

I'm so glad you let everyone know so that we can be praying! He's lucky to have a sis like you!

danandcindy said...

I thought you were taking the summer off from the blog?Wow. I'm touched and embarrassed all at the same time. First of all, I think you might have a slight tendency to over dramatize this little situation. But nonetheless, I will humbly and gratefully accept prayers from your blog buddies. I am confident that all will go well, and that I will not miss an opportunity to lampoon your little online diary.

So, my dear sister, thank you so much for the kind words. I do love you, and that is why I must mock you. For that is the true language of love.

Look for the joke text messages tomorrow telling you I am in a coma.

Cindy said...

Thank you, C! We love you and are grateful for the prayers.

Jeanelle said...

Jeez, Christie! Are you sure it's not all a sick joke he's trying to play in the hopes that you'd blog about him (hello, winner!) Of course I'm praying already for the whole dang family. Xoxoxox

Karey said...

Best wishes, Dan. You're in my prayers. So are you Christie.

brooke said...

Dan is so funny and I can't live without his comments. So I will keep him in my prayers and I hope all goes well tomorrow.

Lucy Ladham-Dyment said...

I will be thinking of you all. He will get better.

jen@odbt said...

Praying with you. You have a great relationship. PS: I think a pic in his hospital gown is needed.

Travelin'Oma said...

Good luck to Dan and his family. I hope he recuperates fully and is back at his post quickly.

Erin said...

Your family and Dan's family are in our prayers for expert hands of the surgeon and a safe recovery, and most of all, for God to show his mightiness in this situation. You are loved - He will watch over you.

Juli said...

Praying from my little corner of the country.

As are many, many women from the rest of the country from what I can see here. I'm sure this will spark him to give us all some wise a$$ comments from the hospital room later this week. :)

Mel said...

My prayers are with you and your family. Hang in there! I like how even in these difficult times you are still joking because I truly believe that laughter is the best medicine ever!

Annie said...

Definitely joining in the get-well-Dan club. Thinking of you and him today!

Diane said...

We heard about this the other day, and he is and has been in our prayers. Love to all of you....and today...especially Dan.

Joy & Casey said...

Praying for him. And for you. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I am praying for him and his family.
Yuliya

missy said...

So sorry to hear about Dan. I hope the surgery was successful. For what it's worth, I left a comment on Oma's blog (dated today) about a formula called Protocel. Most people haven't heard of it, but I'd take it if I had cancer so I wanted to put the word out. If you'd like more info, please let me know.

Lisa-Marie said...

I would be glad to pray for Dan and his family and for you as well. Please let us know the outcome as soon as you can.

Zana said...

Ah man, couldn't he find a better way to get your attention b/c this sounds too painful. Can't wait to hear good news for his future health! love zana

4ever said...

Oh wow! Thinkinging about you and your brother and hoping for the best!

Kimberly said...

Dan is such a wonderful guy...we all LOVE him!

Lauren in GA said...

I can't believe I missed this! I haven't been on the computer as much with the kids home. They are totally cramping my style ;)

I will most certainly pray for Dan! I think he is an incredible person (even though I pretend to despise him). I know this has got to be a very emotional time for all of you. I will send prayers immediately.

You make me laugh, Stie. "Right after the water-logged carcass of Osama bin Laden". You are even hilarious when you are concerned for your brother.

shilo said...

Sending prayers his way. I'm still laughing at the thought of your kidney pestering Dan. Too funny. If you did I wouldn't be the only person I know with just one kidney. We could start an exclusive club or something.

Christina B. said...

Dan and your family are in my prayers also! I hope that the surgery went well and that he will recover quickly.

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Ahhh, no. :(

Your relationship with Dan amuses me to no end and is the sort that I can see my children growing up and having. They certainly have the pestering part down already. :)

Prayers already said and will continue to be forthcoming.

~ Sarah

Becky said...

Always wanted a brother to bug me. And darn that he has to deal with the crappy challenges. Will be praying for your fam Christie. xo