In the car ride on the way home, I asked the kids, "Doesn't it feel good to give to others? Don't you feel so good right now?"
The Princess, in her ever-so-subtle way, said, "No. I don't feel berry good at all. Because I didn't get anything FOR ME."
When we got home, I immediately sent the Princess up to her room to think about the real reason we have Christmas. She made several trips downstairs with her answers, each time getting sent back up.
She claimed we have Christmas:
- So Santa can bring her presents.
- So Santa can drive the sleigh and bring her presents.
- So Santa can bring ALL the children presents.
- So everyone can buy presents.
- So Santa and parents can buy presents for all the kids, not just her. (She was clearly trying to think unselfishly).
When I told her that Christmas had NOTHING to do with Santa and sent her back up for some more thinking, she came down a little sheepishly and said, "Is it because of Jesus?"
Clearly, I'm doing a bang-up job as a parent.
It only took her six tries.