Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Revenge is a dish best served covered in chocolate frosting

When Hannah was about two, she got into a little bit of trouble.

I found her one afternoon, standing at the open door of the fridge, eating fistfuls of cake.

From a seven-layer, made-from-scratch, five-hours-worth-of-my-life cake.

[Okay, maybe it was only a two-layer cake. I exaggerate.]

But it took a really long time to make, and was resting comfortably in the fridge for the Husband's birthday celebration that night.

That is, until baby girl got to it:

Photobucket

[Not the actual photo. I am sure I was too busy yelling and squawking to actually pull out the camera and document the crime. But you get the general idea - a happy, guilty, adorable chocolate face.]

So, last weekend, when my three children worked together to make a cake, I laughed really hard when we all discovered that someone had done this:

Photobucket

[No, it wasn't me. ]

It was someone who's name rhymes with Bosh. Also known as the Flusband.

I think it's one of those full-circle moments that make parenting worthwhile, don't you?

13 comments:

Elle Belles Bows said...

That is the best! That always seemed to happen in our home as a child! Kerri

♥Shally said...

If he was going to take a bite, he should have taken a BIG one! There is no way I could have taken a teeny tiny bite of any cake. :)

Totally funny though...

And-- NO JOKE-- the word verification says SLYGY. Get it-- SLY GUY.

Haha.

D-dawg said...

Now I want cake.

But yes, I love revenge as a parent. Sometimes I just sit back and laugh when my kids get a little taste of their own medicine. I'm such a sweet mother ! (o:

jen@odbt said...

I'm jonesing for some cake now too. I think that's great. Reminds me of the Cosby Show episode where Cliff stuffs papertowels into the cake and tries to cover it with frosting to hide where he took a big chunk out...except your Flusband wasn't so quick to do that ;)

Karey said...

I'd have had to make it look symmetrical by taking a little square out of the other corner.

Or maybe out of the other three corners.

the wrath of khandrea said...

we have similar granite. mine has a touch more black than brown, but it's similar. clearly that's because we're both geniuses with a drop-it-like-it's-hot body and impeccable sense of style.

Juli said...

Awesome.

But someone needs to teach that boy how to fill in the hole with frosting. :)

Terra said...

NICE!

3leftturns said...

Does that mean someone from the House of Seven Gables is going to come tear down your curtains? Now that would be ironic.

Tristan said...

Can you blame her for attacking the cake? I would have too ;-)

And I agree, I think if he was going to take a bite he should have really went for it!

Lauren in GA said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhhhh, I love full-circle moments.

Of course, they don't get to happen to me much. Usually it is my parents or Mike's parents laughing at us for having to deal with the same things with our kids that we used to drive them crazy with years ago.

I love your writing. Seriously.

brooke said...

This made me laugh because my husband had a birthday last weekend. I bought him a sheetcake at my local grocery store because no one makes a better cake than our grocery store and I'm not kidding.

That night, I couldn't wait any longer. I cut myself a huge piece and ate it. The next day he blew out the candles. My kids were ticked that mom got a piece early. What am I teaching them?

That photo of Hannah is adorable.

Travelin'Oma said...

I used to find cakes defrosted back in the day. I think I had the same mouse you have.