Thursday, April 19, 2007

War games

Right now my kids are playing their favorite game - World War II. The boys have recently become obsessed with the details of World War II. They ask questions like, "Just how many trenches did the soldiers dig?" and constantly want to know exactly which country was on "our" side. Every day after school and homework, they load up their backpacks, grab their wooden rifles, and recreate the trenches in our living room. Bombs are detonated, generals are saluted, and food is rationed. Hannah is the nurse-in-residence, and does her best to bandage up the wounded men. Every book Chase brings home from the library lately seems to be related to some aspect of World War II.

I love that they've taken a real interest in history and feel no need to step in and end their violent imaginary play. (Although we have spent a great deal of time focusing on the fact that Germany is now our friend, and we love all German people - a truth they cheerfully accept).

It has only become a little embarrassing at the park, however, when they yell ever-so-loudly, "Look out, it's a German. Kill him! Kill him!"

But I bury my nose in my book, try to look the other way, and make sure to call Oma and Opa when we get home and have a good laugh about it.

Wonder what we'll be into next?

6 comments:

Travelin'Oma said...

This is such an interesting interest! I haven't heard of any kids playing WWII! How did they even know about it? Has Opa been sending secret coded messages about his hobbies?

Annie said...

I love this view into your world! My kids also love WWII...Greg recently rented The Great Escape, which was a bit hit with them. A couple of years ago when we still had the attic unfinished M would play Anne Frank in the eaves. I think her friend's dad was a little perplexed when he came to pick her up and the two girls jumped up and down and excitedly told him how they had "played holocaust." I had to do a little explained on that one.

Annie said...

oops...i meant explaining. Don't you hate it when you push "publish" too soon?

Jake said...

great photo!! I love WWII too...it's the best war ever.

Anonymous said...

I had to discourage Charlie from drawing Nazi swastikas on his WWII reenactments pictures. It was just disturbing. Ah...boys.

mama jo said...

what a kick! it's funny where they pick up ideas....