Thursday, February 8, 2007

I was my own secret admirer

Last night, Josh and I got to talking. This wasn't just end-of-day analyzing, it was actual conversation. It was great (at least for me). Somehow, the topic came around to junior high school, and I got to reminiscing (Josh can't remember last week, let alone his childhood). I started telling the man I currently sleep with just how nerdy I used to be. I bared my BIG NERD SOUL for the guy I want to find me sexy. That must be love, no?

Some of my less-than-cool moments included:
  • Daily lugging a huge alligator-skin case (filled with a huge tenor saxophone) on the bus, whacking everyone in the head as I passed. When presented with the choice of taking band or art, I convinced myself that I was not an artist and should therefore take band. A mistake of COLOSSAL proportion. That saxophone was my constant companion for four years. Why the saxophone? I honestly don't remember. Don't think I could play a note today to save my life.
  • Racing through the halls after getting off the bus in the morning to get a library pass. My even nerdier older brother had convinced me that this is where the cool kids hung out during lunch. It wasn't. Took me a few rounds of dungeons and dragons to figure that one out.
  • The baby blue eyeshadow pasted from eyelid to eyebrow...seriously don't know what to say there.
  • The permed mullet. If I had any digital pictures of this, I would post them so you could appreciate just how beautiful my hair is now. I topped off those lovely feathered sides with about a gallon of aqua-net. That hairdo wouldn't have moved in a tornado. Oh, and I got really cool when I figured out how to mousse the back so it stayed crunchy, while the top was smooth and feathered. Yikes.
  • Big, red, Sally-Jessie-Raphael glasses.
  • Turquoise-blue flood pants and pink high top sneakers.
  • Future Problem Solvers of America - does anyone know what that club is? I never really figured out what I was supposed to accomplish, but I was a proud member.

And my most shameful moment (can't believe I'm baring this sad part of my nerdy soul):

  • Sending myself a valentine. It was sixth grade and for a dollar you could send a "secret valentine" to anyone in the school. I was wise enough then to recognize that I was so pathetic that nobody would be sending me one, so I paid my dollar and sent myself a balloon. It CANNOT get any more tragic than that.

The good news is, my story has a happy ending. I figured out (somewhere between high school and college) how to be a little more cool. I married a GREAT, smart, good looking, ambitious man who loves me, I have three beautiful children, and a fabulous rack. Oh, and maybe, just maybe, I won't have to buy myself a valentine this year. Here's hoping...

4 comments:

Travelin'Oma said...

Josh may not remember his childhood, but I do. Stories go to the highest bid.

Annie said...

I'm impressed you waited this many years to confess your former geekdom! Here's one of mine: I had a club named BASH (stood for the letters in our names...our first and last names since there were only two in the club). We made a flyer about the club and left it on EVERY DOORSTEP in a 10 block radius, forgetting that other kids we knew lived there too, I guess. Took a while to live that one down. My husband still reminds me of my nerdiness with one word: BASH.

Musings of a Housewife said...

The blue eye shadow! The permed mullet! Oh, let's pray the 80's never return! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid after writing how nerdy I was in Middle School people will think, "Hey wait, she still looks like that and still does that." So, please reassure me that I have evolved since then.
1. My glasses were purple.
2. Blue eye shadow, blue eye-liner, and BLUE masquara.
3. I didn't know what hair-products were, therefore I had out of control natural curls kept short and frizzy. Not so cute.
4. Took pride in calling myself an "Orky Dork" (aka violin player in orchestra).
5. I tried to pants my little sister in order to get attention from the most popular boy in school.


Nim Rocks