Sunday, August 28, 2011

My face, the math lesson

Photobucket

Today at church, I noticed Hannah staring at me out of the corner of my eye. At first I ignored it, as she is sometimes fond of counting my freckles.

Which, by the way, is great practice for her to learn counting into the hundreds of thousands. The freckles and I are just doing our part to help with the math skills, you know. We're generous that way.

When she eyeballed me longer than normal, I turned to her and asked her what she was staring at. She crinkled up her little nose and said, "Mama, you have these weird bumps all over your face."

I immediately reached up and began to brush at my cheeks, trying to wipe the offending bumps away. Thinking it was merely makeup gone awry, I asked her if that better.

She stared for a minute more, then said, "Oh, nevermind. It's just your wrinkles."

Great.

At least maybe counting the freckle to wrinkle ratio will help with her fraction skills.

11 comments:

Denise said...

I'm sorry, I just laughed out loud when I read this. Way to make something undesirable into something educational. Plus, remember, wrinkles are a badge of honor.

Lori said...

That really is too funny! I know my day in the sun added a few more on my face for my kids to count.

Tristan said...

How very sweet of her to point that out to you ;-)

Juli said...

I used to count Oldest's freckles... we stopped counting at around 120.

:)

danandcindy said...

Freckle-Face.

brooke said...

Kids are nothing if not honest.

Sammie asked me yesterday if I had over a thousand freckles. I said "I probably have over a million freckles."

She thought about that for a minute and then I heard her say to her friend, "That is why I always wear sunscreen."

Nice.

brooke said...

I bought your wreath...now on the hunt for the Home sign and we'll be on our way!

christina-defining moments said...

Kids - they do so much for our self esteem!

Lauren in GA said...

I have a lot of, "bumps" all over my face...my mom keeps saying, "It's a sign of wisdom"...

Wisdom this, Mom, "pfffffffffffth".

I am not going to age gracefully. I will not go lightly. I will go kicking and screaming.

Karey said...

Fun catching up on your latest posts. Kids can be too honest sometimes. I remember several years ago, there was a proactiv infomercial on and after watching it intently for quite awhile, my then six-year-old son turned to me and said, "Mom, this is great. You should try this."

Oh well. The wrinkles look better than the faces that are all pinched and pulled beyond recognition. And you look great.

Liz said...

Oh, whatever. You are gorgeous. Absolutely beautiful.