Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The joy of parenting

Today I got stuck had the privilege of accompanying little miss Hannah on her non-learning party away from school class field trip to the Arch. It was, as all field trips are, sheer torture delightful.

If I were to choose how I would ideally spend my free time, I would never almost always choose spending time with other people's annoying children Hannah and her school friends.

First, I get to sit around doing nothing practice the art of patience while I wait for the children to board the buses. Then I spend a painful thought-provoking hour in traffic, thanks to our annoying state a freeway construction project, and wait again at the Arch for the buses to arrive.

Once all the loud and hyper happy and energetic children emerge from the bus, we maniacally shepherd sweetly lead them to the Arch museum for a tour. It is always a bore treat to listen while park rangers explain the intricacies of the buffalo digestion system. Most gag-inducing humorous moment was when an actual buffalo chip was passed around for the germ magnets children to fondle with their bare hands.

Some of the sickos darlings even raised the large chunk of poo specimen to their noses for a sniff.

And the talking statues are creepy not at all creepy. In fact, I would call them zombie-like life-like and interesting. An added fright bonus was the homeless man that had wandered in and was trying to possibly kidnap bring Jesus to the children.

I mean, what makes a chaperone happier than having to fear for the safety of her charges getting to see interesting urban characters?

Best part of the day was definitely listening to the kids whine for lunch watching the children leap with excitement when it was time to eat. And annoying thrilling to see that they were too busy playing human dominos to actually sit down and eat.

Seriously though.

It was a very long day really fun. I honestly hope I don't have to go to another one of these this year can't wait for the next one.

Remind her of this when she's 15 and hates me, will you?

20 comments:

Tristan said...

Sounds very educational and creepy! Ha ha!

Annemarie said...

Man, I really got jipped. I had to/got to go to the planetarium and had to/got to ride the bus with the little germ factories. Yes. (there probably should be an exclamation point somewhere in there)

the wrath of khandrea said...

thank goodness for the strikethrough. i would hate to not know how you really felt.

Terra said...

Oh field trips! It does look like she had fun! But they do tend to drag on and they can be real eye openers to some mysterious at home behaviors too.

Liz said...

Oh, she is so cute, and she looks so happy. It was good thinking to bring the camera along.

Ilene said...

At least you have the arch to go to.

Where do they take Idaho kids on a field trip? To see cow/buffalo chips being made?

Crap. I think we need to move.

Kimberly said...

The visual on this was hilarious. I can just imagine 2nd graders holding up the poo specimen to smell...ewww!! You're such a good mom!

diane said...

Did you at least get to go to the top of the arch. That part is cool.

One bonus of High School...no field trips.

Lauren in GA said...

I love you, Stie. This was hilarious. I loved each strike out. I am thinking of copying you and writing a post similar to this about the joys of Evan learning to play the trumpet.

Hannah looks so, so adorable. Love the little braid at the top of her hair and that sweet little smile.

Sincerely Anna said...

Thanks for starting my day with a laugh. So funny!

Meggan said...

Your honesty is refreshing. Glad you got to go spend time with Hannah. such a cute gal.

Amanda D said...

This makes me sad that we don't get to have field trips here. Stupid budget.

Your Hannah is adorable. Great post!

queenieweenie said...

thanks for the giggle-seriously, I LOVE your writing.

I'm right there with you on the joy of field trips ;0

Pajama Mama said...

You are seriously too funny! I have been following your antics for about 4 months and wanted to stop by and say hey!

You have a wonderful, wacky way with words - SAY THAT 10 TIMES FAST! :)

Cindy said...

Those field trips really are so very exciting for the parents... On a serious note, though: Hannah is so very lucky that she has a mom who is willing to go with her and her classmates on an adventure such as this one. You're a good mom.

Emily said...

We actually bought buffalo chips once--yes, paid for the stuff. Some way too true to life primary activity I think.

Jake said...

You rawk the field trip.

Sunk Costs said...

Wild Horse is a pretty great name for an elementary school.

Unknown said...

I did a field trip on Friday with my 4th grader. The results were much the same.

Anonymous said...

no (scary) fun ride up the (comfortable and exhilarating) to the top?