Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A decade

Dear Chase,

Well, big boy, you are a decade. I would say I can hardly stand how fast the time has gone, but I say that every year, and I am sure you are sick to death of hearing it. (Even though it's TRUE!)

It has been a good year for you. You are now in fourth grade and have settled into your own kind of routine. Homework is not a challenge for you (most days) and you still have to be forced to read just about anything that is a work of fiction. You would cheerfully spend your quiet reading time pouring over college-level textbooks on topics like reptiles or World War II.

Funny, now that I think about it, you also did that at age two. You couldn't read then (obviously) but would sit on my lap in the library for hours as I read to you the names of obscure dinosaurs. You never got bored as I described in thorough detail the inner workings of dinosaur digestive systems or hunting tactics. You soaked information up like a sponge, and still do so today. Daddy and I joke that you are a walking encyclopedia of random, useless information.

But it's what you love, kid. And there's no changing the essence that is you. You are absolutely an original. A quirky, handsome, hilarious original. They broke the mold after they made you, that's for sure.

You have been busy the last few weeks, working on a frog comic book that you are hoping to sell in mass quantity. I am afraid to break it to you that your target audience is probably solely your grandparents, and even they might be hard-pressed to pay thirty dollars for, as you put it, "an original, signed by the author!"

But that's the thing I love most about you, Mr. C. You dream big. You shoot for the moon and somehow seem to catch it every time. I am in awe of your fearlessness, your confidence. I don't think the word impossible is at all a part of your vocabulary.

Thanks for making the last ten years so darn entertaining. You are a special spirit, Chase, and I am humbled that someone trusted me enough to send me you.

I love you more than you'll ever know.

Love,

Mama

17 comments:

Annie said...

Oh, happy birthday to Chase! He really is one in a million. Such a sweet and interesting guy!

Annemarie said...

Why do I get teary every time you write about your kids???

He is a darling boy.

Travelin'Oma said...

What a sweetheart! Chase is a genius in training.

Jenny said...

Happy Happy Birthday to your son! What a beautiful letter. So handsome and smart. Enjoy celebrating his day.

calibosmom said...

He is so handsome (inside and out). Happy Bday to your boy!

Emily said...

Priceless words and pictures--I think my little Moo might not ever let Chase go once they meet again--he's been bringing home armour/tank/helicopter books since school started and every day begs to watch the military channel. Kindred spirits me thinks.

diane said...

He has the best dimples and mama.

Becky said...

Handsome boy, he is. happy birthday to Mr. Smarty Pants- I love how you are able to pick our your kids' talents and strengths so well.

Unknown said...

What a seriously cute kid!!!! My favorite picture has to be the Harry Potter one! Happy Birthday to your handsome boy!

Hazen5 said...

Happy Birthday cute boy!

I love your eyes.

queenieweenie said...

I love all the pics...what a cutie boy

Christina B. said...

I love this post. It sounds like you have wonderful kids and I am just not surprised at all!

Tristan said...

Aaaww! That was so sweet!

Happy Birthday to your handsome boy!

Lauren in GA said...

Stie, I love, love, love the way you write to your children.

I did not even give birth to that boy of yours...why am I teary?

That dimple and those eyes...he is so handsome. I have a resident WWII lover (I know I have mentioned that before) I wish I could introduce my son to yours.

Anonymous said...

Oh Chase, we do love you so much!

Liz said...

I love that kid. Tell him hey from us in Iowa.

Bridget said...

I love Chase! Once again, those babies he and Maren have will be so beautiful.