Thursday, August 19, 2010

Faking it, for history's sake

The first day of school came and went. I had planned to stand on the driveway, camera in hand, and dutifully capture every detail of their departure.

After making breakfast and lunches, cajoling, nagging, and cleaning, I went to grab my camera. Tragically, the batteries were dead.

What is it they say about the shoe cobbler's kids never having shoes? A photographer's children never having photographs?

Yeah. Something like that.

So we staged some first-day-of-school-photos on the second day of school. Honestly, in 20 years, no one will be the wiser.

Plus, they'll be too busy mocking their hair and outfits (and blaming me for both) to really care, I am sure.

Photobucket

This boy came bursting home on the first day, eager, happy, and thrilled with his new grade. Second day? Eh. Not so much. Turns out that teachers like to give homework; plus, tests and studying will be requirements this year.

Unlike his hopes and dreams otherwise.

Good news is he will survive. Really, what choice does he have?

Photobucket

This kid wore his new clothes the first day (which, mind you, I forced him to purchase) then happily threw on his oldies for the second day. Don't know why I bother spending ANY money at all on him. He would prefer to dig through the trash and find old things to wear, use, and undoubtedly, eat.

He is excited to be playing violin this year, and when we went to rent his instrument, they offered a wide price range of options. When the sales lady assured us that they all play the same, but vary in looks only, he requested the oldest, most scratched up violin possible. She laughed, looked at me like, "Is he serious?" and I just shrugged my shoulders.

I am pretty sure he is the first kid in the history of the world to request the old, ugly violin. Most are probably begging and pleading for the newer, unscratched models.

Not Chase. Gotta love that kid. He's saving me thousands of dollars against my will.

Photobucket

The little princess has been THRILLED with her first few days of school. Her BFF Jilian is finally in her class this year, and they have been two peas in a pod. Every day is a new adventure in chatting with her besties. School work, reading, tests? Not on the priority list for this social butterfly. School = friends.

She dresses herself daily and (to my dismay) always looks way cuter than I do. I am thinking those critical comments she makes about my wardrobe might have some substance to them after all. Crap.

And me?

Well, I'm holding my own and trying not to have too much fun during the day. In three days, I have already treated myself to lunch, a movie, a shopping spree, and a nap. It's glorious. I think I love school more than anyone else in the world.

Except for one thing: Its constant interruption of my sleep.

Photobucket

(As modeled by Hannah for you here)

The six a.m. alarm clock is killing me. It will soon be dark at that hour, and cold, and I don't know how I will survive another nine months of this. I'm a frightful beast early in the morning and look something like this:

Photobucket

Yikes, right?

How many days until Christmas vacation?

13 comments:

Karey said...

I've been guilty of staging the first day of school myself. Better than no photos, right?

And boy, do I hear you on the cobblers kids' shoes. I made wedding cakes for more than a dozen years--impressive, elaborate and beautiful cakes. My kids usually got a Baskin Robbins cake. Shameful, I know.

Cathy said...

I just don't understand those moms who are sad that school starts and their kids will be gone all day. Are they crazy? I can hardly wait. And I've got 3 long years to wait. Long ones. Really really long ones.

Amanda D said...

My mom always said that her best friend would cry on the first day of school and she couldn't understand it. She was always so glad. I'm in the same boat as my mom. This year, I'll have all three off to school! Hallelujah! But, school doesn't start for three more weeks here.

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

My boys each picked their new school shirts from shirtwoot and they haven't arrived yet. School started yesterday. I'll take the first day of school pictures when the shirts arrive!

You're so right, no one will remember anyway.

Stefani said...

We had SDOS photographs last year for the exact same reason (on BOTH of my cameras).

jen@odbt said...

Your daughter has got great style. As for Chase picking out the oldest...there's something to be said for its story and its history. Just remind him of that when it comes to getting his first car ;) Glad they had great 1st days!

Juli said...

Ahhh, school. We still have over two weeks to go before we start. If I listen really close I an almost hear the school busses. -J

calibosmom said...

Nope. I'm sure I like the first day of school more than you. It's glorious except for the early mornings and this year we start seminary. Ugg!

Travelin'Oma said...

To quote McKay, "So, morning isn't really your happy hour?" Congratulations on making summer so fun you don't need a single minute more of it.

Lauren in GA said...

Some of my favorite family pictures are staged. For some reason we keep having to stage Easter egg hunts.

I love that last picture of Hannah. It is so good...and captures the early morning so well.

I love Chase wanted a well loved and used violin. I loved even more how you noted that he is saving you thousands of dollars against your will. You make me laugh.

jessica said...

I have a love/hate relationship with school starting. I will miss my helpers, C is not going to know what to do without his sisters and neither will I!

Chatter said...

The last picture of Hannah is such a beauty (and I mean that). While I don't actually know her, it seems to really capture the morning Hannah. So cute!! Enjoy your carefree days without the kiddos. Great pictures mama :)

Tristan said...

I am pretty excited for school to start. And Hannah's outfit is so adorable!!