Tuesday, June 15, 2010

His thirty-eighth

Photobucket

Today was a very ordinary day as far as days go. He got up. He went to work. Maybe a little extraordinary in that his wife actually got up with him and made his breakfast.

Early. Not sleeping in like she usually does.

Because she loves him. And he's worth it.

He went to work and returned calls. He worked on documents. His co-workers got him a cake and sang to him in the middle of the day. He undoubtedly shrugged and blushed, embarrassed.

He came home early, refusing to let his wife man the grill. After all, the man really should cook the meat. She made fresh guacamole and got the good chips to go with it. She cooked fresh corn on the cob and cut up lots of fruit.

She made him a cake with help from his kids.

It definitely looked homemade. But it tasted delicious.

He laughed at it, then enjoyed a large slice with a smile on his face. His kids beamed with pride before diving into their own slices.

Photobucket

He got his mother on speaker phone, so she could continue the tradition she started years ago: The telling of the birth story. His kids laughed, incredulous at life in the old days. She told the story with the enthusiasm and vigor that makes all of her stories so fun to hear. Even his father chimed in to add his part. His kids stared at him in wonder - amazed that he ever was anything other than the man before them.

His wife cleaned up the dishes, and he helped her - in spite of her insistence otherwise. He hugged her and thanked her for a fantastic day.

She hugged him right back and thanked him for a fantastic life.

He had a good day.

He is loved.

16 comments:

Natalie of TheBusyBudgetingMama.com said...

sounds like a great birthday to me!! your family is to cute.

Annemarie said...

What a great day! He is a lucky, lucky man!!

Mrs T said...

Loved this post. The photos are wonderful. That cake looks awesome! The tradition of birth stories is such a good one.

Travelin'Oma said...

Thanks for inviting us to the party. I love telling my kid's birth stories. After all, I was the co-star in every one.

brooke said...

This post made me happy. I love the cake. All the pictures are darling. You look especially beautiful and that picture of Hannah is the cutest.

What a great day.

mae said...

You have such a beautiful family. Looks like it was a great day.

mama jo said...

happy birthday josh...your family is beautiful from parents on down...

Musings of a Housewife said...

Awwww... Happy birthday to him!!! And I adore those photo collages.

Meggan said...

Happy Birthday Josh!!! Glad ya'll had a great day. Days like these seem to be a bit of what heaven is like.

3leftturns said...

Today's post brought to in part by support from Kingsford, Weber and Tostitos. Tostitos- because all the other chips are gross.

jen@odbt said...

Best kind of birthday - happy birthday to your husband. Great shots of everyone!

Stefani said...

It was just my hubby's birthday this week too, except he's 48 :-O - Happy birthday to HIM!

(I'm laughing, the word verification is "forti")

Anonymous said...

Christie, what is it? Great photographs or beautifully lovely family? I am still confused :)

I love that dimple and the freckles and the bunny teeth (like mine) on the kids. I love the sparkle in the eyes of their parents. I love happy stories. I love it all.

Happy Birthday to the Dad! :)

Lauren in GA said...

You are a great looking group, that's for sure.

...I have no doubt that his mother tells a story fantastically...

...and you tell a story fantastically, too, my dear....

The cake looks delicious! I love how you got the, "Dad" to stand up.

...it kind of looks like those are, "His and Hers" Cokes. I like it...very romantic.

Heidi said...

Happy Birthday, Josh (via Stie)! What a good idea to have Oma tell the story, I'm always telling my birth story, but really, that doesn't make much sense. I'm definitely doing that.

Tristan said...

Lucky guy!!! Happy Birthday to your hubby!