Sunday, July 27, 2008

She's one of a kind

If everyone had an Annie, the world would be a much better place.

When you went to the local pool, instead of finding it packed as usual, you would have the place all to yourself. You would sit in amazement, scratching your head, wondering where all the people are.

But only for a moment, because you'd soon be too busy to worry about that anymore. Instead, you would share in the joy of your kids as they dive repeatedly without having to wait in line once.

Poolside chairs in the shade would be empty, and fun would had by all. People and OK Magazine would be on hand to provide Hollywood relationship speculation, fashion critiquing, and comparisons between yourself and the Jolies, Witherspoons, and Albas of the world.

But with Annie by your side, she would be quick to remind you of all the qualities that none of those girls have, that only you possess.

You would instantly feel much better about being you.

_________________

If everyone had an Annie, sightseeing trips to the Arch would result in children that magically pose for the camera, with smiles on their faces:

And you would only have a few shots that looked like this (but it would be because you laughed and let them do it, not because it was the best they could give):

_________________

If everyone had an Annie, movies like this would be on the big screen, just waiting with all their magical campiness for you to arrive with your popcorn and diet coke in hand.

With Annie by your side, you would squirm just a little when Bond, James Bond, takes his turn to sing. But you would also be rewarded with the surprising sweetness of Mr. Darcy's voice and the awesome girl power that is the Dancing Queen.

_________________

If everyone had an Annie, even when rain blows in and stays for three days, fun would still be found indoors. A new sport would be invented called Boxing Glove Baseball. It would revolutionize life as you know it for 10-year-old boys, 8-year-old boys, and 6-year-old little sisters:





_________________

And if everyone had an Annie, chick flicks would smoothly transition into late-night discussions which would solve the world's troubles, all while you are doubled over with laughter.

Ordinary Moms would become philosophers, and clarity would be found on critical issues such as child raising and husband management. Kettle corn and diet coke would be the food of choice for such occasions, and would never show up on thighs the next morning.

And that bittersweet moment when you have to drop off your perfect guests at the airport? It will turn into shock and surprise when you come home to receive the flowers she has ordered. For you. To thank YOU, of all things.

What's that, you say? You don't have an Annie?

Oh, I'm so sorry. But I really just don't want to share her. She's all mine.

And she's absolutely the best.

Thanks for a great week, friend!

32 comments:

Unknown said...

Friends like that really are hard to come by...you're so lucky to have one! Especially one that travels to see you. Looks like you had a fun week! And yes, you do have MUCH more to offer than anyone you read about in those magazines!

Rochelleht said...

Oh, I just love great friends!! Sounds like the perfect weekend.

Kathryn said...

What a lovely tribute to friendship! You are both very lucky to have such a great friend.

Kristy said...

Truly, everyone needs an "Annie." What a great post...it makes me want to plan a GNO (Girls' Night Out if your daughter has not gotten hooked on Miley Cyrus/HM)complete w/chick flicks, late night talks that solve the world's problems, kettle corn, & diet coke. I may need to plan a girls' weekend!

I can't wait to see "Mama Mia!"

Becky said...

It's rare to find someone you can be so comfortable with. She is keeper...that was a fun post. Oh yeah, and your family room reminds me of my living room with the green walls and shadow box wainscote. I dare say,..."great taste!" :)

Jessica said...

If you had a Jessica, she would tell you that when she watched Premonition with Sandra Bullock last night and saw Amber Valleta come on screen she thought "who does that remind me of?" and they she would remember it was YOU.

Jessica would NEVER think of that cool flower thing, though. Unfortunately.

Lisa said...

You are so lucky! I need to get me one of those. :)

Jana said...

OOOHHH - how I miss the "Annies" of my life. Some whom I haven't talked to in quite a while....

Note to self: call my "Annie" first thing Monday morning"!!!

I'm glad you had a nice week with your dear friend. Because you are one!

Melain said...

What a fabulous tribute! Will you write my eulogy?

Travelin'Oma said...

Friends are the family members we pick for ourselves. You've created a great sisterhood.

Emily said...

Looks like fun was had by all. Miss you both! However, if you had an Emily and her boys played Boxing-Glove-Baseball you would have numerous dings and dents in your new wainscoting (looks maaarvelous), the six year old would have been clocked in the head numerous times, another unfortunate soul would have ended up in the E.R. and you would swear off her visits F.O.R.E.V.E.R! Glad to see all the happy faces and hear the even-keeled mellowness in your writing that Annie exudes--cheers for a girls week!

Anna said...

I knew I moved away from Billerica too soon. Sounds like a great, memorable visit. BTW, chips and salsa should be a part of every "girl's weekend".

Musings of a Housewife said...

What a fun post. And those pictures are great. I finally bought Photoshop and a book and I'm hoping to learn some skilz. :-)

Lauren in GA said...

Oh, my! I really want an Annie! I completely understand why you don't want to share her.

But...I really need a friend that tells me I possess more wonderful qualities than the girls in glossy magazines...

"husband management" heh, heh, heh...Christie you are so fun to read.

Those action shots of the pool and the boxing glove baseball are marvelous!

Meggan said...

It sounds like you had a great week, despite the nasty bout of weather that we had. Glad you have such good friends! It's very much a gift.

Annie said...

You are too kind--too, too kind & I'm not worthy.

I'm definitely gonna put you down for writing my obituary.

You forgot to mention that I invited myself AND my son, ate all your wonderful food, that you provided the movies and kettle corn and diet coke, you put me up in the best, darkest guest room ever and I slept in every single morning. All in all, I was a first rate moocher and you're a great host.

And to top it all off you didn't post the horrible picture of me at the pool. I owe you big ;).

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I was hoping you'd divulge some details of your visit. I am so glad you have each other. I too think you are more gfab than any movie star.

Ooh, I have to email you.. I have some good news.

Wendi said...

Aren't girlfriends just the best?
There really isn't anything quite like them.
Great. post.

Amanda D said...

Ooh. I totally need an Annie. I'm glad that you had a good time together!

Kimberly said...

Wasn't Mama Mia the best! I'm gonna blog about it! I think everyone needs an Annie in their life! I'm glad you have one.

Liz said...

What a great weekend. I need an annie closer to home, that's for sure.

Hazen5 said...

That was so sweet! But, I think Annie would also teach you how to share! Come on, I could use a little bit of Annie too!

danandcindy said...

If everyone had a Dan....

Naah, let's not go there.

Emy5 said...

Friends really can make you feel better about yourself and help things go smoother! Great post!

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

How fun to have your Annie! We all need Annie's in our lives. How fun and exciting! Thanks for sharing!

Ilene said...

Am I the only one singing "We Got Annie" from the musical, "Annie" after reading this post?

Lucky you!

Ilene said...

Am I the only one singing "We Got Annie" from the musical, "Annie" after reading this post?

Lucky you!

Nikki said...

I am a blurker, but I just had to comment on how much I enjoy your writing style. Wow. My blog would say something like, "my good friend Annie came to visit and this is what we did..." boring! You are so creative, imaginative, entertaining and inspiring. I seriously get giddy when I see you have a new post. :)

BTW, I think Annie sounds pretty perfect and so does her friend Christie.

Anonymous said...

I want one! Mine are in Cali. I gotta get an Illinois Annie!

Holly said...

Annie sounds perfectly delightful. Glad y'all had such a fun time together. Are you sure you won't share? ;)

Chatter said...

I want a Stie and an Annie!! Please oh please let me stay in your dark, quiet quest bedroom and sleep in the next day. That sounds magical.

tarable said...

I have a friend like this - she is priceless! I even took my family to stay with her for TWO SOLID WEEKS last summer. That's a serious friend. It was just like you described in this post.