Monday, June 18, 2007

Wanted: Lost Brain Cells

Do you ever have days where you wake up and swear you felt dumber when you got out of bed? [Sadly for me, I have more than my share of those days.]
I woke up this morning and made pancakes for the kids. Got busy unloading the dishwasher and burned the first batch. And not just crisp mind you, but burned so badly that the poor little pancake CSI unit would need dental records to even identify them as former pancakes. I was not at all paying attention - totally forgot what I was doing. Which I never do. [At least not when it comes to warm, delicious hot things first thing in the morning.]

Then I went to exercise. Due to my inability to stay on top of my Netflix queue, the only movie I had to watch while running was "Little Man." Anyone seen this Wayans Brothers movie? I'm sure at some point in time I thought it might be good for a laugh. I'll tell you right now that, no, it isn't. I'm pretty sure I heard brain cells jumping off my shoulders as though my head was the Titanic and they wanted a fighting chance. Can't say as I blame them.

Next came our errands. My cell phone had been charging all last night, and I forgot to stick it in my purse before we left the house. Which led me to miss the phone call from our floor contractor telling us they found "water" when they were removing the kitchen floor in the new house. When I tried to call him back to find out just what he meant by "water," he was already gone for the day. Was it standing water? Water damage? Ruined-new-house kind of water? I could just tell that the brain cells weren't even wearing life vests this time - they were committing suicide in droves.

And the icing on the cake came this afternoon when I took the kids swimming at the pool. We had the pool to ourselves (bonus to living in a condo complex where hardly anyone has kids) and it was such a lovely day. My usual post at the pool? Sitting in the shade with a magazine. Today? Swimming all day like a fish. It was fantastic except for one, teensy, minor detail. Sunscreen.

Sunscreen on the children? Oh, umpteen times. Sunscreen on me? Nada. Yes, sadly, I had multiple chances to apply some and did not. I don't know what I was thinking. I always wear sunscreen. I am a fanatic about EVERYONE wearing sunscreen. Today I was out in the sun for about four hours without a stitch of UVA/UVB protection. And I'm paying for it tonight.

So I sit here shivering, blisters already forming on my red skin and wondering what happened to my brain today. Wondering futilely if the manager up there will hurry and put a light on - in case some of those lost cells try to make it back home. I really need them. Me no likey being so dum. Me like to be suhmart. Help!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhhhh, I have those dumb days more than I care to admit (and I definitely feel your blistered pain; ever had them turn to big, crispy scabs? The joys of being a strawberry-blonde!

Hang in there. Maybe tomorrow will be a smart one. :)

P.S. Good luck on the "water" situation...

Holly said...

The Lord's mercies are new every morning, thank goodness!

Sorry your brain took a sick day, hope tomorrow is much better-- along with your sunburn.

Bridget said...

Oh Stie, I feel your pain. My brain is on sabbatical I think. Good luck with that water thing. Keep us posted.

Kimberly said...

I think I have lost numerous brain cells with the birth of each of my children. I can definitely relate. Hang in there!

Travelin'Oma said...

In the olden days we used to endure a sunburn early every season, to condition our skin for summer. It seems crazy. The only thing we put on was baby oil, (so we would fry.) That's why I hated being in the sun. The blisters and peeling...I hope it passes quickly!

kelly said...

oh heavens! at least you'll be able to laugh at it all, when all is said and done. i've had many a day like this, i just blame it on being a blonde.

Melissa Angert {All Things Chic} said...

wow. that was some day.

hope your brain can recharge while you sleep!

Annie said...

Hil. Arious. Come live by me again...I need a good Stie laugh every day! Feel better + fingers crossed on the kitchen water. Maybe they found a San Diego beach?

Scrapbooks by Amanda said...

If only we could get lost brain cells back! Wouldn't that be nice? I have more days than not that are like this one.

I hope you have some burn relief cream of something....drinks lots of water and feel better soon!

Jake said...

Crisp pancakes and crispy Stie...bummer...