Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Fifteen

Fifteen years ago today, at the literal crack of dawn, you and I became us. We became a family. We clasped our shaky hands together and took our first step out into the world. Together.

I can still remember the first time I saw you. I was supposed to be going out with someone else that night, but when my eyes met yours, something whispered, "Hello, old friend."

I knew in that fraction of a second what would be.


Yes, that skinny, naive, 21-year-old boy, in Doc Martens, dress shirt coming untucked (something that still manages to happen today), walked in the door and forever stole my heart. The heart that was probably his to begin with.

I wonder, though. Would you do it all over again, if you could? Would you have taken a chance on that girl with the bad perm and the waist-high jeans? Even if you knew that she'd be really mean when she was pregnant? Or that she'd have a rear end the size of Texas during that time?

What if you'd known that she likes to spend money? And most especially YOUR money? Would you have still stayed that first night until the wee hours, playing cards, and flirting across the table, knowing the fortune she'd someday spend at Target?

And what if someone had told you that she squeezes the toothpaste in the middle, and will not, under any circumstances, drink the last little bit from the milk carton? Even then, would you still take her? Her, and all her neuroses?

I know one thing, I'd do it all again, a million times over. I might do a few things differently though.

Like that first anniversary? I'd have been a little more creative, that's for sure. Even with only a dollar to my name, I'd have done better. [Remind me, Internets, to tell you that story sometime. It's a doozy.]

And I'd try harder to let you know just how much I appreciate you and all that you do for me. Because you? You are the best thing that ever happened to me. And I'd never want to let a day go by where you didn't know it.

You are my best friend.

You are the one I need to tell things to before they become real. You are the voice of reason to my irrational hysteria. You are the one I turn to for comfort. You are the one who tells me I'm beautiful, even when I don't believe it. You are the one I want to share every joke and every laugh with. You are the one who knows me better than anyone. And you are the one who constantly says that nothing is impossible.

You, my darling, are the ring in my bell.

Happy 15th anniversary, babe.


32 comments:

the wrath of khandrea said...

mckay is totally his mini-me. the resemblance is insane.

and i am offended by the sexual insinuations of your bell ringing comment. this is a family friendly blog. or so i thought.

happy annivoysary. wishing you a good one!!

Ilene said...

Happy Anniversary!

Can I just take your words and paste them for my own anniversary next week? Well, except for the waist high jeans part. Mine were ultra baggy, though.

Oh, the crimes I committed against that pre-pregnancy beautiful body.

Congrats!

Jenny said...

Happy Anniversary! Great post, beautiful family. Hope today's celebration is more memorable than the first. Can't wait to hear that story.

Christina B. said...

Happy Anniversary! What a great post. It sounds like you are both very lucky!

Jeanelle said...

As a girl who has yet to marry, I love posts like this because it gives me hope that I will someday be as lucky as you. I also love hearing from people who are mostly pretty dang happily married -- it's just refreshing! Congratulations!!

Annemarie said...

Why am I crying? That was amazing! I am guilty of not letting my amazing husband know just how amazing he is. This reminds me to change that.

You are a darling, darling family.

brooke said...

That was amazing. I love it. The family photo is so beautiful. My favorite line of all time--Would you have still stayed that first night until the wee hours, playing cards, and flirting across the table, knowing the fortune she'd someday spend at Target?

Rae said...

You have such a way with words! Loved this post!! Happy anniversary!!!

Joy & Casey said...

Hey! Happy Anniversary! I remember flying home from Virginia to stand in your line next to Kim wearing our twin flower dresses! :) Funny memories-fun day! Love ya tons and am glad you are so dang happy woman!

Joy & Casey said...

Hey! Happy Anniversary! I remember flying home from Virginia to stand in your line next to Kim wearing our twin flower dresses! :) Funny memories-fun day! Love ya tons and am glad you are so dang happy woman!

melissa walker said...

happy anniversary to you--what a great couple and family!

calibosmom said...

Target wishes you a long and happy marriage! Oh, and me too! You guys look great!!!

Becky said...

Happy 15th! That is such a great accomplishment. Of course he would do it all over again...for a girl like you,...are you kidding me? I love the family picture- I haven't ever seen that one. Could your hair have already grown that fast? I loved your husband tribute- you said it all.

Anna said...

Awwww... I love your post, beautiful. You got yourself a super dude. Congratulations.

Chatter said...

Happy Anniversary. YOU have a way with words Stie. I love the family picture!

diane said...

He will love this...if he ever reads your blog.

You are a great writer. I'm totally copying this on my anniversary.

Holly said...

This was beautiful--the words and the pictures. Happy anniversary!!

Michelle said...

Happy Anniversary!! Very beautiful post. You have a wonderful husband and beautiful family!

Christie in Dallas, TX said...

Okay, after that post, you should be able to spend whatever you want at Target. What a fantastic tribute to your husband and marriage -- It was beautiful! Happy 15!

Travelin'Oma said...

If ever there were two halves needing to find the other piece to make themselves whole, it was you two. Josh was spinning his wheels in the sand (unintentionally) for the short 3 months he was old enough and available to rush headlong into the arms of his other half. It was one of the most obvious love at first sight scenarios I've ever watched. You complete the other. Congratulations on an exciting, exhausting, successful 15 years!

TheCatLord said...

wow! 15 years! you got a good one stie- don't ever let him go(target would never recover)(just kidding)
Happy Anniversary!!

Bonnie said...

You are such a beautiful writer. I love the way you write. Happy Anniversary!

Lisa said...

Girl, get yourself out there and shop after that awesome post! He couldn't possibly get mad!

That was so beautiful. Great picture!

Lauren in GA said...

I know I am pregnant and hormonal but that made me cry. The "Hello, old friend." was where the tears welled up.

That was beautiful. I wonder the same things about my husband, too...would he do it all over again knowing what he knows now. I do hope so because I know I would.

Happy 15 year anniversary! Our 15 years comes in May. Oh, dear...I'm gonna be large and in charge by then.

Melain said...

OH happy day. I love reading about people who can still love each other after that much time. Keep being grateful for him. It's amazing how much that alone will keep things happy.

Unknown said...

YAY! Happy Anniversary! You are such a good writer...what a lucky husband you have!

Amanda D said...

Wow, congrats on 15 years! That's awesome. I hope you got to do something fun to celebrate!

Jake said...

Yay! Thank you for making Josh soooo happy. I remember your wedding day better than my own. It was beautiful...I even loved the bridesmaid dress and wore it to work for several years after?!!

So glad you have been my sista for 15 years! Love you guys...

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful family. Happy Anniversary!!! =)

Nortorious said...

Thank the Doc Martins. Funny how you remember the littlest things.
Happy Anniversary!

Jenibelle said...

Obviously between you and Gabi we all know why Target didn't need a bail-out.


Happy Anniversary! You must be really spectacular, it's something when your mother in law gives you a very public thumbs up! Darling family, you can see the happy.

Cindy said...

Very well said. Happy belated Anniversary to you both!